Announcing a new Tell us what you think and help shape the future
Federal Communications Commission Logo - Click here to go to the FCC home page

Wireless Telecommunications Bureau


Public Inquiries

The Commission offers several options for public inquiries. You may address questions by using any of the following:

E-Mail For general information or if uncertain where to address your inquiry, please go to our Support website.
Written Inquiries Written inquiries concerning cellular/PCS/paging issues may be sent to:
    445 12th Street, SW
    Washington, DC 20554
Telephone Inquiries Inquiries via telephone may be directed to the ULS Customer Support Hotline at 1-877-480-3201 or by TDD at 1-717-338-2824.
Records Research To conduct research and obtain information from official Commission records pertaining to Wireless issues, please contact the FCC's Reference Information Center.

How to Request:


An administering Amateur VE must give credit to an examinee holding an expired or unexpired FCC-issued Technician Class operator license document granted before March 21, 1987: Element 3(B) - Section 97.505 (a)(8).

If the examinee does not have the original Technician class license, a verification letter stating he/she was licensed prior to March 21, 1987 may be requested from the Commission. This request should include the Name, Date of Birth, Address, Call Sign and license issue date. The written request should be sent to:

Or Submit an eSupport Request.

License Refunds

Requests for refund of a fee paid to the FCC must be made in writing to:

Refunds will not be made in cases where the fee for a service is lower for the current fiscal year than the fee paid under the fee schedule for the previous fiscal year. To comply with the Debt Collection Improvement Act of 1996, the Commission is required to provide your Taxpayer Identification Number to the U.S. Treasury upon generating a request for refund. To avoid delay, please include your Taxpayer Identification Number, or if the applicant is an individual, the Social Security Number with your written request for refund to the FCC.

The refund process usually takes four (4) weeks depending upon the complexity of the request. Once a refund request has been approved, it is forwarded to the U.S. Treasury in San Francisco, the return or refund of monies, refer to CFR 47, Part 1, Section 1.1113 of the Commission's rules.

*Please Note: When requesting a refund or checking the status of a refund in process, please provide the following information:

Ship/ Aircraft Special Temporary Authority

You may operate your marine or aircraft radio after you have mailed your application(s) to the FCC if you complete, detach, and retain the temporary operating authority attached to the application form. The temporary operating authority is valid for 90 days after you mail your application to the FCC and should be kept with your station records until you receive your license through the mail.

However, the temporary operating authority is not valid if applying for a marine fleet, marine portable, or aircraft fleet license. If you apply for one of these licenses and will need to operate the radio before the license is received, you should request a Ship or Aircraft Special Temporary Authority. The request may be made via mail, fax, or telephone and should include the following information:

If request is made by telephone, applicant is requested to confirm request for STA by letter within ten days as required by Section 1.931(b) of the rules. The request should be addressed to:

Fee Exemptions

  1. Governmental Entities are exempt from fees.
  2. No fee is required for non-profit licensees in the Special Emergency and Public Safety Radio Services. Submissions in these two categories must be accompanied by a Determination Letter from the Internal Revenue Service which shows the licensee's not-for-profit status.

Submit fee exempt requests to:

Copies of Documents

Due to the many requests the FCC receives from the public for retrieval and duplication of Commission documents, as well as the limited personnel and financial resources of the FCC, the Commission has awarded a public records duplication contract to Best Copy and Printing, Inc. On May 27, 2004, Best Copy and Printing, Inc. became the official Federal Communications Commission duplicating contractor. Best Copy will provide duplicating and research services to the public.

Customers wishing to sign-up for subscription services, request research services, purchase a debit card, or establish an account should contact:

Best Copy and Printing, Inc.
Portals II
445 12th Street, S.W.
Room CY-B402
Washington, DC 20554
Phone: 202-488-5300, (800) 378-3160
Fax: 202-488-5563

Please Note: Public Notices, News Releases, Orders, Notices of Proposed Rulemaking, Speeches and other informational documents and decisions have been made available on the Internet for public access.

Other resources that are also available on the Internet are:

Last reviewed/updated on