Announcing a new Tell us what you think and help shape the future
Federal Communications Commission Logo - Click here to go to the FCC home page




Individuals or entities desiring to operate on frequencies listed in the Industrial/Business Pool are required to obtain a radio station license for these frequencies.
The Commission has accepted a list of channels in the 450-470 MHz band designated for low power use. The list was submitted by the Land Mobile Communications Council. It is expected that low power licensees will migrate to channels in the 450-470 MHz band designated for low power use. For more information, see Public Notice DA 00-1359 (pdf).
Below is some helpful information to aid you with the licensing process.

Licensing Process

  1. Gathering Information
    Preparing to License outlines the important information about your radio system that you gather before you contact a frequency coordinator.
  2. Frequency Coordination
    Frequency coordinators are FCC certified to recommend the most appropriate frequencies for applicants in the designated Part 90 radio services. Applications for new frequency assignments, changes to existing facilities or operation at temporary locations must include a showing of frequency coordination.
  3. Filing Your Application
    New applications and other actions which require frequency coordination are normally filed with the FCC through the recognized frequency coordinator. Other actions such as minor modifications or administrative updates may be filed with the FCC through the Universal Licensing System (ULS). For new users, you can learn more about ULS online systems through its getting started tutorials
  4. Immediate Operation
    There are two ways to begin immediate operation of your system. The FCC implemented a licensing procedure for conditional authority in 1995. You may begin operating your system 10 days after your application is filed with the FCC. In addition, you may apply for a Special Temporary Authority to operate during emergency or other urgent conditions without filing a license application.
  5. Notification of Construction
    A licensee must notify the Commission that its system is constructed and placed into operation within 12 months of the date of grant or their license will automatically cancel. (See 47 CFR 90.155(a)). Notification is made by filing FCC Form 601 through ULS (Purpose Code: NT). You may also request an extension of the construction period through Form 601 before the expiration of the construction period. This filing must be made within 15 days of the expiration of the applicable construction period. (See 47 CFR 1.946 (d)). You may also request an extension of the construction period through Form 601 (Purpose Code: EX) before the expiration of the construction period. (See 47 CFR 1.946(e)).
  6. Renewal of License
    You must file for renewal of your license no later than the expiration date of your license period, and no sooner than 90 days prior to expiration by filing FCC Form 601 (Purpose Code: RO) through ULS. (See 47 CFR 1.949).

Universal Licensing System
 Daily Transaction Files
 Online Filing
 License Search
Radio Service Codes
Below 800 MHz
IG - Industrial/Business Pool - Private, Conventional
YG - Industrial/Business Pool - Private, Trunked
Above 800 MHz Business
GB - 806-821/851-866 MHz, Conventional
GU - 896-901/935-940 MHz, Conventional
YB - 806-821/851-866 MHz, Trunked
YU - 896-901/935-940 MHz, Trunked
Above 800 MHz Industrial/Land Transportation
GO - 806-821/851-866 MHz, Conventional
GI - 896-901/935-940 MHz, Conventional
YO - 806-821/851-866 MHz, Trunked
YI - 896-901/935-940 MHz, Trunked

Fee and Mailing Instructions (pdf)
Return to Top Arrow Return To Top
Last reviewed/updated on